Sunday, November 09, 2008

Oskar

Very recently I saw the Swedish film Let the Right One In. It is a coming of age story about a quiet and bullied 12 year old boy named Oskar, and a '12' year old girl, Eli. Their relationship is incredibly touching, and the dialogue is sharp and quirky. Oh yeah, and Eli is a vampire, which has a tendency to complicate things a bit.

Not only is the story beautiful and somewhat disturbing, but the aesthetic of the film leaves me a little breathless. I can't even fully describe it: the palette, the location, the actors, the sound effects and music...woo. The combination is strong. I highly recommend seeing this film if you haven't already. In the meantime, here's the trailer.

In other news, a tentatively pro-markered in Oskar graces the first page of my new sketchbook. I had been working on my previous one since the beginning of March, so for a little over 7 months. It felt wonderfully satisfying to finish it yesterday. I am a slowpoke, I know, but to be fair I had put a lot of effort into it. It didn't just contain sketches, but photographs, to-do lists, calendars, class notes, personal rants, quotes, artists to check out, gallery receipts, et cetera. Which I realize should have made it fill up faster...hmm. Anyway, this new sketchbook has me excited. The pages are a subtle cream colour and it has a pocket to contain all the loose photos, flyers, and miscellaneous stuff I inevitablly end up shoving in my sketchbooks. The cover is also red. Pretty.

Anyway, today there is much to do. Then again, when is there not? Oh christmas break, how I am beginning to yearn for you.

No comments: